Enjoy one-on-one instruction in the privacy of your home with one of our skilled instructors. Private lessons are a great way to receive specialized help on potty training, not jumping on people, come when called, and many more obedience fundamentals.
Private Lesson Pricing
Private lessons may be scheduled one at a time, or as packages. Private lesson pricing is as follows:
- Pay as You Go (Per Lesson) with Staff Trainer - $115
- Pay as You Go with Marti Hohmann (Per Lesson) - $165
- Package of 5 Lessons (5% off - must be used in 3 months) - $546.25
- Package of 10 Lessons (10% off - must be used in 6 months) - $1035
Individual lessons and packages must be prepaid.
Private Lesson Scheduling
Our staff trainer is generally available at 9:30 am and 4 pm Monday - Friday, and 10-4 on Saturday. Please choose the date and time for your private lesson carefully. Consistency is key to your dog’s training success. Because we want to see you reach your training goals, and because we keep our case load small to provide personalized support toward those goals, we charge a $25 fee for missed or canceled training sessions. In the event you need to reschedule your lesson, please give 24 hours’ notice to Marti at 561-906-2830.
Homework Matters - Private Lessons vs. Daytraining
Homework is important. We are disappointed when the dogs in our private lesson practice do not make progress, or when solutions offered are not applied. We reserve the right to discontinue private lessons at any time, or renegotiate private lesson packages to day training or board and train sessions. You may find it helpful to video parts of your lesson, or write down exercises to practice until next time.
Day training (you drop off your dog for the afternoon and we train, play with, and exercise him) is a great alternative to private lessons for families who are busy or find the mechanics of dog training difficult to understand or master. We are glad to teach your dog the behaviors you'd like him to learn, then show you how to elicit those behaviors in a series of private lessons afterwards.
Private Lessons at Our Location
Private Lesson Guidelines
For private lesson procedures, please read the Private Lesson Guidelines below. If you have any questions, please contact us via the form on our contact page.
1. Please contact Marti at 561-906-2830 to schedule a private lesson. All lessons must be prepaid. You may purchase them through the Store, receive an invoice via PayPal (let us know if this is your preference), or mail a check made out West Palm Dog to: Marti Hohmann, 13496 Fountain View Blvd, Wellington FL 33414.
2. Please start to feed your dog by hand at least 20 pieces of dog food or small treats daily. Say the word “Yes” just before you give your dog the food or treat.
4. Please do not feed your dog for 4-6 hours prior to the appointment, even if you believe he or she is always hungry.
5. Please supply the trainer with 30-50 small, soft, tasty training treats or pieces of meat or cheese.
6. Please have your dog on leash or securely crated when the trainer enters your home. The trainer does not need to see behaviors like jumping up or barking to help you. If you would like, you may send video prior to the appointment to email@example.com.
7. Your trainer may suggest a collar or harness available for you to purchase after your appointment, or in subsequent appointments. Some items are available for purchase in our Store.
8. Please do not give your trainer cash or checks or book subsequent appointments directly with the trainer. Please do not share a personal cell phone number with the trainer, or request the trainer's personal contact information.
9. Homework is important. It demoralizes staff when the dogs in our care do not make progress, or when solutions offered are not applied. We reserve the right to discontinue private lessons at any time, or renegotiate private lesson packages to day training or board and train sessions.
9. Subsequent appointments with the trainer (or another West Palm Dog trainer) must be made through Marti at 561-906-6417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment.
10. Please be aware that trainers are available only at designated times of the week. If you would like to book a lesson, please do so at least 48 hours prior to the date of your choice.
Individual lessons and packages must be prepaid.
12. Kindly give 48 hours’ notice if you need to reschedule your appointment. Call Marti at 561-906-2830. Cancellation requests must be received 24 hours prior to the cancellation. Late cancellations are subject to a $25 fee.
13. West Palm Dog does not intervene without veterinary support in cases of dog aggression, thunderstorm phobia, separation anxiety, or other instances of canine behavior issues. We also offer this referral if you need help with behavior issues beyond the reach of obedience training:
Florida Veterinary Behavior Service
14. We encourage you to video moments you would like to remember during your private lesson. Your trainer may video you working with your dog so you can see your technique, measure your dog's responsiveness, and remember what to practice between sessions.
15. Practice with your dog daily for at least 10-15 minutes. The more you practice, the better your dog will do. Integrate obedience into your regular routine. Ask your dog to Sit for the food bowl, before going outside, before you put on the leash, etc. Your dog will then begin to understand obedience as a way to manage his happy relationship with you, and not as a series of tricks he does when you have a treat in your hand.