Enjoy one-on-one instruction in the privacy of your home with one of our skilled instructors. Private lessons are a great way to receive specialized help on potty training, not jumping on people, come when called, and many more obedience fundamentals.
Private Lesson Pricing
Private lessons may be scheduled one at a time, or as packages. Private lesson pricing is as follows:
- Pay as You Go (Per Lesson) with Staff Trainer - $115
- Package of 5 Lessons (5% off - must be used in 3 months) - $546.25
- Package of 10 Lessons (5% off - must be used in 6 months) - $1092.50
Individual lessons and packages must be prepaid.
Purchasing a Private Lesson Package
We currently offer 5 and 10 Private lesson packages, which gives you a 5% discount off the hourly rate.
Packages can be purchased from our Online Scheduler. Once you purchase a package a code will be emailed to you. This code can then be used to redeem and schedule the lessons. Your lesson balance is automatically tracked.
When you log into your account it will allow you to see your scheduled appointments and package balance. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Please choose the date and time for your private lesson carefully. Consistency is key to your dog’s training success. Because we want to see you reach your training goals, and because we keep our caseload small to provide personalized support toward those goals, we charge a $25 fee for missed or canceled training sessions. In the event you need to reschedule your lesson, please give 24 hours’ notice to Marti at 561-906-2830.
Homework Matters - Private Lessons vs. Daytraining
Homework is important. We are disappointed when the dogs in our private lesson practice do not make progress, or when solutions offered are not applied. We reserve the right to discontinue private lessons at any time or renegotiate private lesson packages to day training or board and train sessions. You may find it helpful to video parts of your lesson, or write down exercises to practice until next time.
Daytraining (you drop off your dog for the afternoon and we train, play with, and exercise him) is a great alternative to private lessons for families who are busy or find the mechanics of dog training difficult to understand or master. We are glad to teach your dog the behaviors you'd like him to learn, then show you how to elicit those behaviors in a series of private lessons afterward.
More information on Daytraining can be found here.
Private Lesson Guidelines
For private lesson procedures, please read the Private Lesson Guidelines below. If you have any questions, please contact us via the form on our contact page.
1. Please go to our Online Scheduler or call Marti to schedule a private lesson. All lessons must be prepaid.
2. Please start to feed your dog by hand at least 20 pieces of dog food or small treats daily. Say the word “Yes” just before you give your dog the food or treat.
4. Please do not feed your dog for 4-6 hours prior to the appointment, even if you believe he or she is always hungry.
5. Please supply the trainer with 30-50 pieces of freeze dried liver or chicken. You may purchase treats prior to the lesson from our Store. The trainer will bring them to your lesson. Freeze dried, single ingredient treats are available at pet stores, too.
6. Please have your dog on leash or in a crate when the trainer enters your home. Your dog should be hungry when the trainer arrives -- please fast him for 4-6 hours prior to the appointment.
7. Your trainer may suggest a collar or harness available for you to purchase after your appointment, or in subsequent appointments. Some items are available for purchase in our Store.
8. Please do not give your trainer cash or checks or book subsequent appointments directly with the trainer. Please do not share a personal cell phone number with the trainer, or request the trainer's personal contact information.
9. Homework is important. It demoralizes staff when the dogs in our care do not make progress, or when solutions offered are not applied. We reserve the right to discontinue private lessons at any time, or renegotiate private lesson packages to day training or board and train sessions.
9. Subsequent appointments with the trainer (or another West Palm Dog trainer) must be made through our Online Scheduler.
10. Please be aware that trainers are available only at designated times of the week. If you would like to book a lesson, please do so at least 48 hours prior to the date of your choice.
11. Individual lessons and packages must be prepaid.
12. Kindly give 48 hours’ notice if you need to reschedule your appointment. Use the Online Scheduler or text Marti at 561-906-2830. Cancellation requests must be received 24 hours prior to the cancellation. Late cancellations are subject to a $25 fee.
13. West Palm Dog does not intervene without veterinary support in cases of dog aggression, thunderstorm phobia, separation anxiety, or other instances of canine behavior issues. We also offer this referral if you need help with behavior issues beyond the reach of obedience training:
Florida Veterinary Behavior Service
14. We encourage you to video moments you would like to remember during your private lesson. Your trainer may video you working with your dog so you can see your technique, measure your dog's responsiveness, and remember what to practice between sessions.
15. Practice with your dog daily for at least 10-15 minutes. The more you practice, the better your dog will do. Integrate obedience into your regular routine. Ask your dog to Sit for the food bowl, before going outside, before you put on the leash, etc. Your dog will then begin to understand obedience as a way to manage his happy relationship with you, and not as a series of tricks he does when you have a treat in your hand.